Brainerd's first undertaking firm was that of Mr. Albert E. Losey. He came to Brainerd in 1882. Isaac T. Dean joined him in 1884. Mr. Losey continued in this business until his death in 1910.
The next undertaker in Brainerd - in addition to Losey and Dean, was a man named Daniel M. Clark. Mr. Clark was in business here for 40 years, until his retirement in 1923. He died 10 year later in November of 1933.
In 1910, after the death of Mr. Losey, B. C. McNamara was added to the list of undertakers. He was employed prior to coming to Brainerd in 1908 as a licensed embalmer for 6 years in the Twin Cities. He spent 2 years in Brainerd before going into business for himself. In 1924, after D. M. Clark retired. B. C. McNamara took over his undertaking business and renamed it the McNamara Funeral Home.
Daniel E. Whitney of Sauk Center, an employee of Losey and Dean, took over the operation of the firm after the death of Mr. Dean in 1914.
During the time from 1920-1927, only Whitney and McNamara are listed as the only undertakers in this period of Brainerds history after the retirement of D. M. Clark.
In 1954, John Nelson purchased the Whitney Funeral Home at 720 Front Street and in 1956, Thomas Doran purchased the Hoenig Funeral Home at 502 Front Street. In 1960, the Nelson Funeral Chapel and the Doran Funeral Chapel merged to create the Nelson-Doran Funeral Home. At that time they built the new facility at it's current location, on the east side of Brainerd.
In 1987 John Nelson retired and Thomas Doran continues with his son Michael Doran, who joined the firm in 1987. Erik Christensen joined the firm in 1988. During the winter of 1996, a cremation facility was added to the Brainerd Chapel. John Nelson died on January 9, 2003.